2021 Preservation Award
When the Stuarts purchased the 1853 Emery S. Johnson house in 2019 it was clearly going to be a project, and that is exactly what they were looking for. The home had been owned for the previous 90 years by one family and most the first floor had been used as a dermatologist’s office including rooms for exams, changing, x-ray and pharmacy. When converting the home back to a single family use those rooms were returned to use as kitchen with butler’s pantry and dining room. The exterior restoration included removal of non-original shutters, and restoration of original wood windows, flushboard siding, clapboards, corner quoins and even the property’s decorative iron fence. This work was highlighted by an elegant paint color scheme of deep purple-gray. Not as visible is the work to integrate rear balconies and restore the captains walk on the roof. One of the few in Salem.